Are fireworks allowed in Summerset?

No. The City Commission has banned all fireworks within the City effective 2007.

Who is responsible for the sidewalk in front of my house?

The property owner is responsible for the repair and maintenance of sidewalks, by State Law. Any property owner, who fails to maintain their sidewalk in a safe condition is considered negligent in their duties as a property owner, and is liable for injuries which may occur due to its lack of maintenance. It is also required that property owners or renters of property within the City limits to shovel the snow from their sidewalk to allow for pedestrian passage.

Who is responsible for sewer service lines leading to my home?

The property owner is responsible for all piping and appurtenances, which are not part of the sewer main. All leaks, broken lines, blockages, or freezing which occur in the service lines, are the responsibility of the property owner or tenant.

​Why doesn't Summerset have its own zip code?

The U S Postal Service determines all zip codes by need and not necessarily by City.

Why doesn't Summerset have its own post office?

The U S Postal Service determines the location and need for post offices. A new facility was recently built in Black Hawk, and along with the post office in Piedmont, the needs of the City are met.

Why Is The Speed Limit So High On Sturgis Road/Highway 79 Through Summerset?

Sturgis Road/Highway 79 is a state highway and its speed limit is determined by the State of South Dakota.

Why Doesn't The City Enforce The Subdivisions' Covenants?

Covenants are attached to deeded property and enforcement is the responsibility of the Homeowners Association.

The City has passed various Ordinances and is responsible to enforce these laws. The City possesses additional powers and authority that a Homeowners Association does not have.

The City and the Homeowner's Association are two separate entities.

​Why Are There Homeowners Associations Serving Some Areas Of The City?

Homeowners Associations are allowable under State law to meet particular needs of certain home owners and property owners, usually in a subdivision. Developers find it helpful to form Homeowners Associations when creating subdivisions and in marketing their development.

Many questions have been raised in the recent Community Survey regarding the services provided by the Homeowners Association and the dissolution of the same.

The City cannot force the Homeowners Association to dissolve, nor can the City force the Association to provide any type of services. An explanation of Association services should be included in the covenants. There are many homeowners associations operating successfully within Rapid City and other cities in South Dakota.

You may wish to contact you Association if you have any questions or concerns.

Why doesn't Summerset have its own schools?

The location of schools are determined by the school districts not the City.

What are the City boundaries?

Please feel free to stop by City Hall to view the City boundary map. Additionally, a Zoning map of the City is also available.

Where can you find the City Ordinances?

You may access them on this website or visit City Hall at 7055 Leisure Lane, to review hard copies of the Ordinances.

Who should I call for information on Mountain Lions and to report a sighting?

In South Dakota, the Division of Wildlife is responsible for managing, conserving and protecting wildlife. To report a mountain lion sighting, an encounter or an attack, contact the Rapid City Office of the Division of Wildlife at 394-2391. For after hours emergencies, contact State radio Communications at 393-8121.

Brochures regarding Mountain Lions in South Dakota are available at the City Office, 12150 Siouxland Road.

How do I report a dead deer on the road?

Dead deer should be reported to the State Game Fish and Parks Department at 394-2391 or State Radio at 394-2221.

Frequently Asked Questions